Friday, January 11, 2013

LibreOffice document recovery actually recovers a document

I have been using Linux all day every day for about 8 years now and the application I've used more than any has been OpenOffice/LibreOffice.
Literally hundreds of times I have lost content due to a crash, power failure, command line reboot without saving or whatever. When this happens the next time you start *office it has always asked  me if I want to recover from my previously aborted session.

In all my 8 years and hundreds of times having lost content I have never had it actually recover even so much as a single word of unsaved content.

Well, yesterday I rebooted my machine from command line without saving a document I had been working on. When it came back up, I started LibreOffice Writer, and HOLY CRAP!!! My completely unsaved document was just there!

It didn't ask me to recover or anything, just started in the same state it had been in previously with the unsaved content!!!!!

I'm just amazed at the simple fact that this actually worked. Maybe I can begin to expect the style manager in Impress to actually manage styles now! I'm gonna go check on that right now...


My build

LibreOffice: Version 3.6.4.3 (Build ID: 3.6.4.3 Arch Linux build-3)

No comments:

Post a Comment