Thursday, August 1, 2013

Undeleting files deleted from the shell

I was just finishing about 8 hours of python programming on a simulation, and I went to delete my output files so I could be sure I regenerated them. I typed the following command:
$ rm * save
Notice that space between the "*" and the word "save"? Yeah, that was not supposed to be there.
So I removed all my source files.

I searched my repository for undelete and found something called "extundelete" I installed it, CTRL+ALT+1'd, logged in as administrator and killed my X session. I then unmounted /home and ran:

$ extundelete /dev/sda7  --restore-directory baloney

baloney is the name of my home folder. And I'll be damned if it didn't recover all but the most recent of my modified files.
The developer is named "N E Case" on SourceForge, thanks N.

No comments:

Post a Comment