Wednesday, September 3, 2014

KDE Printer Configuration and the Authentication Dialog

When managing printers via KDEs print settings, any change requires a root enabled password. However the dialog that asks for it is unable to be focused and sits in the background until you cancel it. The amazing thing is I have had this issue for YEARS and it has yet to be fixed. MANY TIMES have I tried to find the problem with no luck, unsure of exactly which search terms to use.
I finally found a bug report that addresses this, starting in 2012 (its now the 9th month of 2014).

Basically, the workaround is to run:
  $ kdesu kcmshell4 kcm_printer_manager  


to start the printer config as root, which in itself is not an easy thing to figure out. Which is why I am documenting it here.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I just did this in order to change my default from "color" to "grayscale" and the freaking thing STILL popped up an inaccessible password dialog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note: For plasma use kcmshell5
    kdesu kcmshell5 kcm_printer_manager

    ReplyDelete