Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Boot Dell Venue 11 Pro from USB

This has been frankly incredible. I have been trying for days to get a Dell Venue to boot from USB, or at least destroy the existing Win 8.0 partition. I have tried SO many different things, and every single one has failed for one reason or another.

  • Upgrade to 8.1 will not work, because I have to "turn off bitlocker" which is not on or installed (since it tells me to reboot with my install disk in order to turn it on) and has no option other than "turn on". 
  • I have been unable to boot from USB due to "invalid partition".
  • I got some sort of Win8.1 boot thing happening only to be told I was "Missing a media driver" which apparently was none of the Dell drivers I downloaded using the service tag.
  • I finally got an Ubuntu formatted USB stick to boot by going into bios, and enabling Legacy Roms, but NOT enabling legacy boot, then adding a new boot option to the uefi boot menu that was one of the random looking strings that had the word USB in it... HOORAY UBUNTU BOOTED!
  • BOOOO the display will display nothing but blackness despite the fact that it has clearly booted since I can hear volume up/down noises when pressing volume buttons.
THANKS FOR UEFI MICROSOFT NO WONDER YOU ARE ON SUCH A CLEAR UPSWING!

No comments:

Post a Comment